Kareem Clarke awoke on Dec. 22 to the sound of his brother Brian’s screams from the floor above him. He ran upstairs and into a cloud of smoke, only to find his brother trying desperately to extinguish an electrical fire that was overtaking their three-story home.

By the time the Fire Department arrived just past 10 am, the blaze had completely gutted the Lefferts Avenue row house that’s been in the Clarke family for four generations, leaving them to pick up the pieces.

That’s when their neighbors stepped in.

Firefighters responding to the Dec. 22 fire that left the Clarke family displaced, and prompted neighbors to rally around them, raising money, collecting coats and more. Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York City

Kareem Clarke awoke on Dec. 22 […]


Your contribution is appreciated.

Make a Donation

BK Reader is brought to you for free daily. Please consider supporting independent local news by making a donation here. Whether it is $1 or $100, no donation is too big or too small!

Share this story!

Share Tweet Print

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *