An 80-year-old Brooklyn woman is the first confirmed case of the novel coronavirus in the borough, New York City officials said Thursday.

The Brooklyn woman is one of two New York City residents in critical condition at hospitals, along with a Manhattan man in his 40s.

No information has been released about where in Brooklyn the woman lives or in which hospital she is being treated– only that she already suffered from age-related health issues and the she remains in intensive care, according to City Hall.

These latest two cases brings the number of people infected citywide to 13; statewide to 22, with a total of 2,773 New York State residents under quarantine.

Mayor Bill de Blasio rides the A train subway on his way to a fifth COVID-19 response tabletop exercise with Deputy Mayors, Commissioners and leadership from across the Administration. NYC Emergency Management in Brooklyn on Wednesday, March 4, 2020. Michael Appleton/Mayoral Photography Office

The national count of diagnoses is 163 patients in 18 states, with 11 confirmed deaths.

While just 80 percent of coronavirus cases resolve with no medical attention, officials said the virus will continue to spread, and the state is working to increase its testing capacity.

“We are going to see more cases like this as community transmission becomes more common,” Mayor Bill de Blasio said in a statement. “We want New Yorkers to be prepared and vigilant, not alarmed.”

To understand the best steps for protect yourself against the virus in the city, read this statement released yesterday by New York City Council Speaker Corey Johnson.


This coverage of coronavirus is a special to BK Reader. We are asking for your help in keeping our coverage and database current with any helpful references and news tips. Please send all tips to covid19@bkreader.com. With your help, Brooklyn will emerge stronger and more unified as a borough. Thank you.

$
$
$

Your contribution is appreciated.

Make a Donation

BK Reader is brought to you for free daily. Please consider supporting independent local news by making a donation here. Whether it is $1 or $100, no donation is too big or too small!

Join the Conversation

1

  1. A 6-week-old baby died in the United States from COVID-19 and was the youngest victim of coronavirus in the world.
    “A 6-week-old newborn from the Hartford area in United State was brought unresponsive to a hospital late last week and had died from COVID-19 .” He was the youngest victim of coronavirus in the world.
    “It is a sadness that breaks my heart,” said the governor of the state of Connecticut. In Chicago, a 9-month-old boy had already died from COVID-19 earlier.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *