As parents are preparing their children to return to school, NYC Health + Hospitals is hosting back-to-school health fairs at hospitals and neighborhood health centers across the borough.
Between Monday, August 26, and Saturday, September 14, Brooklyn families will have five opportunities to get their kids school-ready with free health services such as physicals, immunizations, vision and hearing tests, as well as free school materials and information on a variety of health issues.
“It’s important for students to have their annual checkups before or early into the school year to make sure their health will support their academic success,” said Mitchell Katz, MD, president and CEO of NYC Health + Hospitals. “Good health starts at a young age. Children and adolescents should understand the value of ongoing primary care and carry that habit into their adult age.”
NYC Health + Hospitals has also issued a list of health tips to help parents get their children ready for the school year, including advice on vaccination requirements, flu shots, nutrition, sleep, setting routines, limiting screen time on computers and cellphones.
The following hospitals and health centers will be hosting a back-to-school fair in the coming weeks:
- NYC Health + Hospitals/Gotham Health, Bushwick, 335 Central Avenue | August 26, 10:00am-3:00pm
- NYC Health + Hospitals/Gotham Health, Cumberland, 100 N Portland Ave | August 28, 10am-3:30pm
- NYC Health + Hospitals/Kings County, 451 Clarkson Ave | August 30, 11:00am-2:00pm
- NYC Health + Hospitals/Gotham Health, Jonathan Williams, 333 Roebling Street | September 7, 10:00am-3:00pm
- NYC Health + Hospitals/Gotham Health, Bedford, 485 Throop Avenue | September 14, 10:00am-3:00pm
Families who cannot attend the fairs can make an appointment for free or low-cost services at any public health system location by calling 1-844-NYC-4NYC (1-844-692-4692).
Make a Donation
BK Reader is brought to you for free daily. Please consider supporting independent local news by making a donation here. Whether it is $1 or $100, no donation is too big or too small!