Nineteen Brooklynites who have made significant contributions in transforming their communities and institutions in and around Senator Roxanne Persauds District 19 were recognized with the Power 19 Award on Tuesday.
The senator welcomed the honorees, among which were firefighters, EMTs and students, as well as a government official, a social worker, a librarian, an engineer and an author, at Brookdale Hospital.
The ceremony began with remarks from Samara Karasyk, senior vice president of the Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce, Jabari Hall, empowerment speaker and founder of youth organization J-Has-Heart, and Persaud, who took a moment to define the meaning of “Power 19.
“Why ‘Power 19’? Because we are Senate District 19, we are the Power 19,” Persaud said. “It is always our privilege to recognize members of the community. Too often do we pass by people doing great things, the work that you all do, day in and day out; and that’s why we are here, to say thank you. Over the past couple years we have honored many people, and all we ask is that you keep doing what you’re doing and pay it forward. Some of you may live here, some of you may not, but all of you have invested interest in the community. You are all a part of this community.”
Persaud continued to thank the honorees for their selfless passion in promoting change and inspiring hope in the community, as well as their guests for supporting them and being the “wind beneath their wings.”
And here are the 19 honorees:
- Emily Cabrera – Academic Excellence Award
- Francis A. Valerio – Community Champion Award
- Shamika Cousar – Community Empowerment Award
- Iyana Curtis – Community Empowerment Award
- Wayne Harris – Community Empowerment Award
- Tom Mueller – Community Empowerment Award
- Lieutenant Krystal S. Hayes – Community Engagement & Service Award
- Walter Hochbrueckner – Community Engagement & Service Award
- Michelle Singh – Humanitarian Award
- Brandon Bloomfield – Innovative Leadership Award
- Lieutenant Ricardo Otero – Innovation Leadership Award
- Brittany Coleman – Scholastic Achievement Award
- Jada Edmunds – Scholastic Achievement Award
- Peter Haggerty – Service and Bravery Award
- Robert Puckett – Service and Bravery Award
- Edward Rodriguez – Service and Bravery Award
- Cherise Birchwood – Youth Community Empowerment Award
- Javon Hawker – Youth Community Empowerment Award
- Malyka Bailey – Youth Leadership Award
Make a Donation
BK Reader is brought to you for free daily. Please consider supporting independent local news by making a donation here. Whether it is $1 or $100, no donation is too big or too small!