Prospect Park may be one of Brooklyn’s most serene places, and starting June 6, Brooklyn’s backyard is upping the zen factor with its annual outdoor yoga series.
The free yoga sessions will take place every Thursday through August 29 in Prospect Park’s Long Meadow from 7:00pm to 8:00pm.
As in previous years, the Prospect Park Alliance is welcoming instructors from Brooklyn’s top yoga studios including Prospect Heights’ Shambhala Yoga and Dance Center, Crown Heights’ Urban Asanas, Clinton Hill’s Sacred Yoga and Bed Stuy’s Namastuy.
Launched in 2008 by Bend + Bloom Yoga founder Amy Quinn Suplina with the goal to make yoga and fitness accessible for all, the annual summer sessions draw hundreds of Brooklynites to celebrate wellness and experience outdoor group yoga classes in a low-pressure, beautiful environment.
Yoga has become increasingly popular in today’s busy society. For many people, yoga provides a retreat from their chaotic and busy lives. The ancient practice incorporates breathing exercises, meditation and poses which bring many benefits for both mental and physical health. Yoga is said to reduce stress and anxiety while improving strength, flexibility, balance and heart health, among others.
Another major bonus: The exercises are accessible to practitioners and newbies of all fitness levels and ages.
So get your mats ready. Namaste!
11th Annual Prospect Park Yoga Schedule
- June 6: Julie Dohrman, Bend + Bloom Yoga, Park Slope
- June 13: Allegra Romita, Brooklyn Yoga Project, Cobble Hill
- June 20: Lindsay Ashmun, Bend + Bloom Yoga, Park Slope
- June 27: Jyll Hubbard-Salk, Urban Asanas, Crown Heights
- July 4: No class. Happy 4th of July!
- July 11: Eric Lawrence, Bend + Bloom Yoga, Park Slope
- July 18: Justin Ifill, Shambhala Yoga & Dance Center, Prospect Heights
- July 25: Kate Reil, Bend + Bloom Yoga, Park Slope
- Aug 1: Giulia Pline, Kula Yoga, Williamsburg
- Aug 8: Amy Quinn Suplina, Bend + Bloom Yoga, Park Slope
- Aug 15: Beau Dobrikov, Namastuy Healing Collective, Bedford Stuyvesant
- Aug 22: Emily Giovine, Bend + Bloom Yoga, Park Slope
- Aug 29: Stephanie Battle, Sacred Yoga, Clinton Hill and Bend + Bloom Yoga, Park Slope
Brooklynites who would like to join any of the free yoga sessions above are asked to RSVP and sign a waiver prior to attending their first class. Participants will need to bring their own mats and water bottles. All classes will take place on the north end of the Long Meadow, and participants should enter the park at Grand Army Plaza.
Make a Donation
BK Reader is brought to you for free daily. Please consider supporting independent local news by making a donation here. Whether it is $1 or $100, no donation is too big or too small!