By: Kaplan Real Estate Education
The world of residential real estate has many different players, including appraisers, home inspectors, property managers, contractors, bankers, mortgage loan officers, and government agencies, as well as prospective buyers and sellers.
But, the workhorses of the typical real estate transaction are the people that coordinate the processthe real estate agents and brokers.
A good real estate agent is similar in nature to a conductor of a symphony, coordinating the different players to make a successful transaction a reality. At different points in the process, the real estate agent is a salesperson, a buyers advocate, an analyst,
a business manager, a consultant, a negotiator, and a marketer, just to name a few. We have found there are a number of qualities and traits that successful real estate professionals share.
10. Problem-solver mindset. Do you enjoy coming up with creative solutions to problems or issues? Many successful real estate agents know how to properly showcase a house to make it more marketable and develop creative MLS listings to attract the right buyers.
9. Self-motivated entrepreneur. Having a desire to control your own professional destiny and be your own boss is a trait shared by top real estate professionals. To be successful in real estate requires a high degree of self-motivation, drive, and smart decision making.
8. Honesty and integrity. Your professional reputation is crucial to a long and successful career in real estate. Becoming a member of the National Association of REALTORS® is one way to show you practice high ethical standards.
To become a member, you must pledge to a strict Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice.
7. Hustle and tenacity. Being a top producing real estate agent requires a great work ethic. You must have the tenacity to pursue every lead and the hustle to aggressively market your clients properties in order to have success.
Its not just about putting in a lot of timeits about working smart, putting in the right amount of time, and doing whatever is necessary to close the deal.
6. Interest in houses and architecture. Having a true interest in houses and architecture can give you an advantage over other brokers and salespersons. If your knowledge and interest level is apparent in conversations, your clients will see that you
care about the industry youre in.
5. Engaging personality. A good real estate agent doesnt just sell propertiesthey sell themselves. Its important to show your real personality. People will respond to you if you have a great attitude, are personable and honest, have confidence in your abilities,
and get a sense of fulfillment by serving others.
4. Attention to detail. Paying close attention to the details is imperative for your real estate career. A complete real estate agent is attentive to the unique needs of their individual clients. If you are organized, follow up with leads, communicate well,
and pay attention to the needs of your clients, you will close more deals.
3. Understand the local housing market. A top producing real estate agent appreciates and utilizes the nuances that make a specific communitys housing market and pricing strategy unique. Success comes from identifying and developing a focus
or niche in the local real estate market that allows you to distinguish yourself from the competition.
2. Build a network of connections. Successful real estate agents have a vast network of contacts within the market they serve. This list of connections should include other real estate agents and brokers, potential buyers and sellers, and all the
other players in the real estate industry, such as appraisers, home inspectors, and mortgage loan officers.
1. Knowledge is power. Staying up-to-date on the latest topics in real estate and in the local market will allow you to service clients more effectively. Continuing education and professional development are doors to opportunity that you can utilize to expand your
business options and stay at the forefront of the real estate field.
At the end of the day, you get out of it what you put into it. There is a certain level investment needed (time, energy, and money) to make any business venture successful. Real estate is no different. If you are passionate about real estate and have similar traits to those outlined here,
you have a great shot at having a long and successful real estate career.
Make a Donation
BK Reader is brought to you for free daily. Please consider supporting independent local news by making a donation here. Whether it is $1 or $100, no donation is too big or too small!