Screen Shot 2015-02-17 at 6.47.07 AMA fire accidentally set at Roosevelt Houses in Bed-Stuy Monday afternoon forced the desperate escape of a mother and her two children out of their third-floor window, resulting in the mother breaking both of her legs, reported an FDNY spokesman.

The fire, which broke out at 128 Lewis Ave., just after noon, is believed to have started when a couch in the hallway was set ablaze, said investigators.

In a desperate attempt to save her children and escape, the mother, Cipriana Lundy, 33, helped her 16-year-old daughter out of the window first. Her daughter landed on the scaffolding below. Then Lundy used a sheet to lower her 4-year-old son into her daughters arms. After residents on the ground helped retrieve the two children, Lundy jumped out the window onto the scaffolding and broke both of her legs on impact.

Lundy was taken to Kings County Hospital where she is being treated. Three firefighters were also treated at the scene for minor injuries. The fire was brought under control a little after 1:00pm.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.