It appears the church money scam targeting the elderly is back.
The 71 Precinct, covering the southern end of Crown Heights emailed the Reader on Thursday with news that three 3 elderly people within the confines of the 71st Pct. have been scammed out of money in the last few days.
The way the scam works is an elderly person is approached by a person who convinces the elderly victim to give them money for a church, in return for more money. When the victim hands over the money, the perpetrator runs off, reported police.
There are five golden rules for avoiding church scams:
- If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.
- Never believe someone is who they say they are, or that their claims are true, without independent proof.
- Never wire or donate cash unless you are 100% sure who the recipient is.
- Always read the small print of any agreement you are signing. Discuss it with others dont rush.
- Carefully check out the credentials of any organization you are dealing with, whether theyre investment firms or equipment suppliers.
Make a Donation
BK Reader is brought to you for free daily. Please consider supporting independent local news by making a donation here. Whether it is $1 or $100, no donation is too big or too small!