Dozens of Bed-Stuy residents went without Christmas dinner this year after a fire turned off the power in a building that has yet to see the electricity return, residents and officials told Patch.

“It was terrible for them — especially [families] with children,” said Tenant Association President Veronica Cromwell. “Even though they had the gifts, the parents could not cook a meal for them.”

More than 150 apartments at 400 Herkimer St. have been without power since an early morning fire erupted in the building’s electrical room on Dec. 21, according to officials.

“The apartments shouldn’t stay in the dark this long,” said tenant leaders, who will wait at least two more weeks for electricity to return.

A building on Herkimer Street where electricity went out before Christmas still has at least two weeks before its repaired, tenants say. (Google Maps.) BED-STUY, […]

$
$
$

Your contribution is appreciated.

Make a Donation

BK Reader is brought to you for free daily. Please consider supporting independent local news by making a donation here. Whether it is $1 or $100, no donation is too big or too small!

Share this story!

Share Tweet Print

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *