Even after an opulent thanksgiving dinner – there’s always room for dessert!
These delectable single-serving tarts are gluten-free and sweetened with dates instead of refined added sugars. Top with a little unsweetened whipped cream to take this special—yet healthy—dessert to the next level.
No-Sugar-Added Mini Apple Pies: Serves 6
Prep time: 1 hour
Bake time: 12-15 minutes
- 1 cup dates, divided
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1½ cups pecans, toasted and finely ground
- 1½ cups oat flour (see Tip)
- ⅓ cup melted butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup apple cider
- 3 medium apples, peeled and chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Coat a muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Place dates in a medium bowl and cover with boiling water. Let soak for 20 minutes. Drain the dates, reserving ¼ cup soaking liquid.
- Puree the soaked dates and the reserved soaking liquid in a food processor. Add ground pecans, oat flour, butter* and salt; pulse until combined.
- Firmly press 2 generous tablespoons date mixture into the bottoms and up the sides of each muffin cup. Bake until set, but not browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the remaining ½ cup dates and cider in a blender or food processor and blend until mostly smooth.
- Transfer to a medium saucepan, along with the apples and cinnamon. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook, stirring often, until apples are mostly tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and cornstarch. Using about 2 tablespoons filling for each tart, divide the filling among the crusts.
- Bake until crust is browned on the edges and filling is hot, 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool at least 20 minutes. Run a sharp knife around the edges and remove tarts from the muffin pan.
*Feel free to use vegan butter to make this recipe vegan
Make a Donation
BK Reader is brought to you for free daily. Please consider supporting independent local news by making a donation here. Whether it is $1 or $100, no donation is too big or too small!