A fire Tuesday night destroyed a brownstone at 103 Hancock St, leaving two dead and two injured
A fire Tuesday night destroyed a brownstone at 103 Hancock St, leaving two dead and two injured

The New York City Fire Department is investigating the cause of a fire that broke out Tuesday night on Hancock Street in Bed-Stuy that has left two people dead and two injured.

FDNY received a 911 call of a fire at 103 Hancock Street, between Bedford and Nostrand, in Bed-Stuy around 9:43pm. The fire started at the front entrance of the four-story brownstone and quickly spread up the stairwell and through the hallways.

gas mask left on the sidewalk at the scene

One resident, Tyrone Corely, 56, was well-loved as the block’s DJ for the area’s block parties. He was seriously injured after he tried to escape the flames by jumping out of his 3rd-floor window. He was taken to Kings County Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Curtis “Lion,” 47, the father of twin teenage sons was pronounced dead at Interfaith Hospital Wednesday morning. Two other female residents were rushed to Kings County Hospital for smoke inhalation and are in stable condition.

Neighbors gathered around the scene late Tuesday night and into the early morning hours, expressing their sadness at the fatalities.

We’re very heartbroken,” said Reginald Swiney, who was the block association’s Block Watcher and a resident on the block for 13 years. “It’s very suspicious; we believe this fire was set, because brownstone front doors don’t just go up in flames and brownstones don’t burn down this quick. Our neighbors now know we need to talk to each other more.”

The cause of the fire is still unknown. Neighbors alluded to drug activity and knowing the players. NYPD and FDNY officials are investigating.

Correction/Addition, Sun. 10/25/15: Curtis Lion’s full and correct name is Stanley John Willkie.


Your contribution is appreciated.

Make a Donation

BK Reader is brought to you for free daily. Please consider supporting independent local news by making a donation here. Whether it is $1 or $100, no donation is too big or too small!

Join the Conversation


    1. Hey Steven, their information was reported from the incident that evening. By the time I reported, a second had died.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *