For 125 years, The Bedford-Stuyvesant YMCA has brought health & wellness and education programs to youth and families throughout Bedford-Stuyvesant and its surrounding communities. This has all been made possible by the people who, throughout the year, have selflessly donated their time and money to an institution that has been indispensable to the community for more than a century.
On Thursday, October 15, “the Bed-Stuy Y” held its third annual “Brooklyn Honors” awards ceremony and fundraiser, a cornerstone event that not only gives recognition to the branch’s most venerable supporters and those living and/or working in Brooklyn who are making a difference, but also it serves as an important opportunity to raise money for the program’s that support the 12,500 area youth each year.
Last night’s honorees were:
- Denise D. Arbesu, Senior Vice President of Citibank, Chair of the Board of Directors, Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce
- Milovan Blair, Senior Vice President of Central Operations at Con Edison
- Selena Cuffe, Co-founder and CEO of Heritage Link Brands
- Monique L. Nelson, Chair and CEO of Uniworld Group, Inc.
- Melvin D. Thompson, CEO/Owner of Lawrence H. Woodward Funeral Home, Inc., recipient of the Lifetime Achievement Award
Make a Donation
BK Reader is brought to you for free daily. Please consider supporting independent local news by making a donation here. Whether it is $1 or $100, no donation is too big or too small!