Okay Central Brooklynites, listen carefully, and follow these exact instructions:
1. Pull out your smartphone.
2. Pull up you calendar.
3. Go to August 23 and August 24 of this year.
4. Block those days off with the AFROPUNK Fest 2014.
5. Go buy tickets for the fest here.
6. If you can’t buy tickets right this second, set your reminder alarm to go off on July 23 to make sure that by then, you’ve purchased your tickets and all your friends and their friends have purchased their tickets.
7. Set another alarm to go off on August 16 to find out whom of your friends actually bought tickets (the rest are AFROPUNK slackers, and you ain’t got time for that) so you can make plans to meet at Commodore Barry Park in Fort Greene, Brooklyn, at a reasonable time, because this year, on its 10th anniversary, there will be four stages of music including the more traditional heavy/punk Black Stage and Speaker’s corner where the politically minded can speak theirs, a slew of Food Trucks making a variety of cuisine, the Spin Thrift Market with its 100 vendors selling various goods and crafts, and the ever present Art Wall where selected visual artists produce original works of art within the park grounds. Plus…. the lineup is sick!!!!
Lianne La Havas
Body Count, Trash Talk
Straight Line Stitch
Shabazz Palaces, SZA
Unlocking The Truth
Cakes Da Killa
Denitia and Sene
As well as DJ Sets by
Mista Selecta + Mane Squeeze
A Tribe Called Red
Plus… more artists will be announced! To get the full gist of it all, visit afropunkfest.com!
Make a Donation
BK Reader is brought to you for free daily. Please consider supporting independent local news by making a donation here. Whether it is $1 or $100, no donation is too big or too small!