1. Alternate side parking regulations and all meters are in effect all week.
2. Looks like April will end and May will begin with rain. Three days of rain this week. Also, be careful of big fluctuations: 49 degrees high on Wednesday, and then 69 degrees on Thursday.
3. Monday, April 28, Philly Soul Night at the Palisades906, located at 906 Broadway. The DJ’s will be spinning classic LPs from artists like Billy Paul, The O’Jays, Jerry Butler, Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes, The Spinners, and then hopefully some solo Teddy Pendergrass. Try to keep your panties on. Actually, we take that back.
4. On Monday, April 28, at 7:30pm, Greenlight Bookstore presents Ruchama King Feuerman author of In the Courtyard of the Kabbalist, in conversation with author Beth Bosworth. Greenlight Bookstore is located at 686 Fulton Street.
5. On Wednesday, April 30, learn how the Bed-Stuy Gateway Business Improvement District (BID) can better serve you at its local business workshop on how to access capital. Lenders will be present to start the process, explain why applications get rejected and provide pointers to improve your application. Continental Breakfast will be served. Location: Restoration Plaza Multi-Purpose Room, 1368 Fulton Street, 8:30am – 10:30am.
6. Check out POETICA: A multi-disciplinary new work by Alexis Cuadrado crossing languages and poetry in collaboration with authors/poets Rowan Ricardo Philips and Melcion Mateu on Wednesday, April 30 9:00pm to Sat May 3 11:00pm at SEEDS, located at 617 Vanderbilt Ave .
7. On Thursday, May 1, beginning at 6:00pm, EmblemHealth will host its first “Commitment to Care Lecture & Award Series” in Brooklyn to recognize and honor six nonprofit organizations serving the people of Brooklyn. The ceremony will honor Bedford Stuyvesant Restoration Corporation,CAMBA, Haitian-American Community Coalition, Diaspora Community Services, Evelyn Douglin Center and the Brownsville Multi-Service Family Health Center. The event will be held at The Brooklyn Botanical Gardens.
8. The Savvy Senior Cooking Club, will introduce healthy eating, provide cooking and meal prep skills, encourage healthy food preparation and eating choices, and provide a fun sociable atmosphere for its participants to learn together with Chef CJ Matthews! Sessions will be held every Friday, beginning May 2 to July 10, from 11:00am-1:00pm, at the Quincy Senior Residences, located at 625 Quincy Street between Stuyvesant and Lewis Avenues.
Make a Donation
BK Reader is brought to you for free daily. Please consider supporting independent local news by making a donation here. Whether it is $1 or $100, no donation is too big or too small!